Benefits to Private Tree By-laws
Other municipalities have adopted Private Tree By-laws, citing the overall community benefits of the urban forest, including:
- Promoting biodiversity, providing habitat and food for wildlife.
- Supporting human health and improve quality of life.
- Improving the overall neighbourhood aesthetic and leading to increased property values.
- Reducing stormwater runoff, reducing summer evaporation and increasing groundwater recharge – leading to improved water quality and quantity. Trees also reduce soil erosion and the possibility of flooding.
- Improving air quality, through the absorption of carbon dioxide (a greenhouse gas) and release of oxygen. Trees also absorb pollutants, trap dust and block noise.
- Providing protection from the wind and sun, leading to home energy savings.
Consultation has concluded